The Sports sector offers a range of careers in performance, training and treatment, recreation and support and business and media entertainment. Young people enjoy Sports, but do not often realize the endless career opportunities that are affiliated with Sports, beyond competing.
The Sport SHSM gives students an opportunity to specialize, gain qualifications, and plan a career pathway in various areas of the sports sector while still in high school. The SHSM Program has a number of required components, designed to give students a “leg-up” to pursue post-secondary opportunities in each of the identified sectors, valuing apprenticeship, college, community, university and the workplace.
This major is offered at :
Monsignor Doyle | Resurrection | St. Mary’s
Required Components :
- Provided to students FREE of charge, certifications, trainings and workshops led by industry professionals, help students develop their skills and discover more information about their future career.
- Six certifications/trainings/workshops related to the industry
- 3 Compulsory, 3 Elective
- Examples include: Conflict Resolution, Sport and Event Management, Coaching, Personal Training, Nutrition, Leadership Skills,WHMIS, Standard First Aid & CPR‐C, and more!
- View all Certification & Training topics for Sport SHSM Here
- A bundle of nine credits in Grade 11 and Grade 12 credits which students earn:
- Co-operative Education (Co-op) provides students with workplace experience that enables students to refine, extend and practice sector-specific knowledge and skills.
- Examples of Sport Co-op Placements: Recreation and Leisure Services, Fitness & Training Centres, Physiotherapy & Athletic Clinics, Community & Wellness Centres.
- Special Events Coordinator
- Arena Manager
- Broadcasting Sports Director
- Broadcast Technician
- Film or Video Camera Operator
- Recreation Facility Manager
- Recreation, Sports and Fitness Program and Service Director
- Sports Agent
- Sports Announcers & Broadcasters
- Sports Photographer/Videographer
- Sports Photojournalist
- Athletic Therapist
- Health & Physical Education Teacher
- Recreation/Sports Consultant
- Sports Author or Writer
- Sports Journalist or Columnist
- Sports Media Producer
- Sports Psychologist
- Sports Public Relations & Communications
- Fitness/Sports Instructor
- Operators and Attendants in Recreation & Sport
- Outdoor Sport & Recreational Guide
- Personal Trainer
- Recreational/Sport Program Instructor
- Sports Officials & Referees
- Sports Retailer
For more information, speak to the guidance counselor at your school
Students in a Specialist High Skills Major program complete learning activities that are contextualized to the knowledge and skills relevant to the economic sector of the SHSM. Contextualized Learning Activities (CLA’s) enhance your learning in your English, Math, Science and Business classes. They connect your interest in your chosen sector to your learning in these classes.
CLA’s will be delivered by your classroom teacher. It is not additional work to be completed – it may replace the work being done by non-SHSM students or the teacher may choose to have the entire class complete the CLA.