Energy is an emerging and expanding sector that encompasses all aspects of energy generation, distribution, and consumption, including research and development, design, construction, installation, and maintenance. Core industries in this sector include:
- Renewable and alternative energy such as wind, solar, and biomass
- Power generation and distribution
- Fossil fuels
- Energy efficiency
The Energy SHSM gives students an opportunity to specialize, gain qualifications, and plan a career pathway in various areas of the Energy sector while still in high school. The SHSM Program has a number of required components, designed to give students a “leg-up” to pursue post-secondary opportunities in each of the identified sectors, valuing apprenticeship, college, community, university and the workplace.
Check out: Green Collar Careers
This major is offered at :
Resurrection | St. Benedict | St. Mary’s
Required Components :
- Provided to students FREE of charge, certifications, trainings and workshops led by industry professionals, help students develop their skills and discover more information about their future career.
- Six certifications/training/workshops related to the industry
- 3 Compulsory, 3 Elective
- Examples include: Basic Electrical Safety, Confined Space Awareness, Solar Panel/Energy Efficiency Training, Customer Service Training, Health & Safety, Land Surveying Basics, Scaffold Safety, Standard First Aid & CPR-C, WHMIS, Working at Heights and more!
- View all Certification & Training topics for Energy SHSM Here
- A bundle of nine credits in Grade 11 and Grade 12 which students earn:
- Four Energy major credits
- One English credit,
- One Math credit
- One Other credit in either Business, Science or World Studies
- Two Co-operative Education credits to gain workplace experience that enables students to refine, extend and practice sector-specific knowledge and skills.
Course Information: Resurrection | St. Benedict | St. Mary’s
- Co-operative Education (Co-op) provides students with workplace experience that enables students to refine, extend and practice sector-specific knowledge and skills.
- Examples of Energy Co-op Placements:
Architecture and Engineering firms, City Planning, Home Renovation & Inspection Services, Demolition Services, Energy Auditing Companies and more!
- Examples of Energy Co-op Placements:
- Construction Millwright & Industrial Mechanic
- Contractor & Supervisor, Electrical Trades & Telecommunications
- Electrical Mechanic
- Electrical Power Line & Cable Worker
- Industrial Electrician
- Power Systems Electrician
- Power Systems and Power Station Operator
- Biological Technologist & Technician
- Civil Engineering Technologist
- Construction Electrician
- Energy Guide & Quality Control Manager
- Geological & Mineral Technologist
- Geothermal Installer
- Geothermal System Designer
- Land Surveyor
- Mapping and Related Technologist/Technician
- Chemical Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Geological Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Assembler, Fabricator, Inspector & Tester of Transformers & Electrical Appliances
- Electronic Service Technicians
- Gas Maintenance Workers
- Home Energy Evaluator
- Renewable Energy Products Salesperson
- Residential/Commercial Installer/Servicer
- Solar Panel Technician
- Wind Turbine Material Controller
For more information, speak to the guidance counselor at your school
Students in a Specialist High Skills Major program complete learning activities that are contextualized to the knowledge and skills relevant to the economic sector of the SHSM. Contextualized Learning Activities (CLA’s) enhance your learning in your English, Math, Science and Business classes. They connect your interest in your chosen sector to your learning in these classes.
CLA’s will be delivered by your classroom teacher. It is not additional work to be completed – it may replace the work being done by non-SHSM students or the teacher may choose to have the entire class complete the CLA.
- Building An Electric Vehicle (video)- format not supported
- Canadian and World Issues CGW4U – Independent Study
- Regional Geography CGG3O – Sustainable Tourism in Developing Countries
- Canadian Law CLU3E – Mock Trials – Energy and the Environment
- English ENG4U – ISU – Novel Study
- Math MBF3CI – Chevy Volt
- Science SVN3E – Conserving Energy and Saving You Money