Specialist High Skills Major is a program that believes in student success. It is our goal to assist with students’ transition from secondary school to the next stages of their learning, whether it be Apprenticeship, College, University or the Workplace. A team of support includes SHSM Lead Teachers, Guidance Counsellors, Co-op Teachers and Administrators at the school, in addition to a team at the board office who can help assist students in their senior years to navigate their career pathway prior to graduation.
Please see the information below for further assistance or feel free to Contact Us directly.
SHSM Progress Reports are generated for each student as a way to provide feedback and illustrate which components of the program are on track for that student. A hard copy report is printed once a month and sent to students in their homeroom class. Reports are also sent via email to student’s school gmail accounts and parents email accounts.
It is recommended that SHSM students visit their Guidance Counsellor to ensure their courses are on track to earn their red seal diploma in both grade 11 and 12 years.
SHSM Lead Teachers are available for additional support regarding all SHSM components and are happy to connect with students. Click here for further support.
Other helpful links related to student’s planning pathways and co-op programs can be viewed below:
One award will be presented at Graduation to the deserving student from each Secondary School who has demonstrated motivation and change and has grown both personally and academically as a result of their involvement in the Specialist High Skills Major programs.
• The recipient will receive a framed certificate and monetary award.
• Total award value is $250, donated by Hotzone Training Consultants.
• The school will receive a plaque recognizing the student.
Click the Link below for further information on criteria, submission process & due date.
There are many Colleges and Universities who recognize the importance of the Specialist High Skills Major designation on your diploma, and offer scholarships, bursaries or other perks for attending their post-secondary institution!
Click the links below to find out more information:
- Brock University
- Lakehead University
- Landscape Ontario
- Niagara College
- Ontario Agricultural College (OAC)
- Saint Mary’s University
- Trent University
- University of Waterloo – St. Jerome’s University
- Western University – Huron University College
- Western University – Kings’ College
- University of Guelph – Humber
- Sample SHSM Resume
- Apprenticeship – Education for the Skilled Trade Careers
- Ontario College of Trades – information on skilled trades & apprenticeships
- Ontario Colleges.ca – search College programs by subject/interest
- Ontario Universities Application Centre (OUAC) – information about university applications
- Labour Market Information – explore current trends and job outlooks
- Government of Canada Job Bank – search for current jobs online or explore careers by clicking on “Wages”, “Outlooks” and “Skills & Knowledge” for current salaries & qualifications or click on “Job Market Trends” to learn more about Provincial & Local information