Specialist High Skills Major Excellence Awards Waterloo Catholic District School Board – 2018-2019
One award will be presented to the deserving student from each Secondary School who has demonstrated motivation and change and has grown both personally and academically as a result of their involvement in the Specialist High Skills Major programs. Award
• The recipient will receive a framed certificate and monetary award.
• Total award value is $250, donated by Hotzone Training Consultants.
• The school will receive a plaque recognizing the student.
Students who are applying for the award must be 100% on track in the program, and will earn their Red Seal Diploma during the 2018-19 school year.
Students are required to submit a short essay (1 page max) and photo (preferably from their co-op placement) and describe how their involvement in SHSM affected their life. Students will provide examples of how they have accomplished the following criteria below in their short essay submission:
1. Personal Growth – How has your experience in the SHSM program positively impacted your individual confidence, maturity and affirmation of your career choice?
2. Focused Career Goals – How has the SHSM program helped you to developing skills and experience in your future career/pathway through completion of the SHSM components?
3. Advocacy for the SHSM Program – How have you helped to promote the SHSM program within the school community? Are you a great representative of the program? Describe how you have encouraged other students into the Specialist High Skills Major program.
Students must submit their short essay by email to the SHSM Lead Teacher at their school. SHSM Lead Teachers will select the award winners and notify the student.
Submission Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2019
Submit To: Mr. Marschall
Contact Information: email@example.com
Submission Date: Friday, May 10, 2019
Submit To: Ms. Iley
Contact Information: Nadine.Iley@wcdsb.ca
Submission Date: Monday, May 13, 2019
Submit To: Ms. Crowell
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission Date: Friday, May 3, 2019
Submit To: Mr. Temple
Contact Information: Mark.Temple@wcdsb.ca
Submission Date: Tuesday, April 30, 2019
Submit To: Ms. McCormick
Contact Information: email@example.com
• SHSM Leads will arrange for the award winner to be recognized at their school’s award assemblies or their graduating ceremony.
• All submissions will be forwarded to the SHSM Team at the Board Office for future SHSM promotional uses.
• Names and photographs of recipients may be published in regional/school newsletters, local newspapers, Board website, etc. upon consent of the individuals concerned.